It’s been a year since I posted, mostly because I’ve had nothing to write about in a whole year.
I have something now, and it’s about Korean skin care. There apparently has been a big craze over Korean skin care with the rise of famous Kpop stars becoming more prominent in English-speaking countries and whatnot, and think that looking at their porcelain plastic surgery-laden skin fortells that Korean skin products are miracles.
As you might know, I have dealt with acne since I was 11 and it has never gone away, ever. So my skin is horrible and fucked up.
During Black Friday, I went on a binge on Amazon and bought a shitton of stuff and came upon Korean skin care as one of their “new finds” categories. I’m not sure what made me do it, but I figured, hey why not, and bought a few things. I was very confused on what to get because I didn’t look at any kind of list or anything (like here), I literally went off of people’s reviews of products on what to get. So, the general guideline is 10 steps, but I have like…five. Cause I didn’t read the memo.
I’ve been using this stuff for about a month and a half (roughly half a month for my cleanser, which arrived later) and I THINK it’s helping. I mean, I definitely see a huge difference in the reduction of blemishes, redness, etc. on my face before and after I use it in the morning. And, it clears up most of my acne in a couple days. But I’m going to write a list of what I have so far.
Korean 10-step skin care list
- Oil-based cleanser: apparently you only need this if you use makeup. I didn’t know there were two types of cleanser for this so I just got one, thankfully it was the right one, water based.
- Water-based cleanser: I use Laneige Pore Deep Clearing Foam, it lathers so well and feels soooo nice to put on your skin. It has a very neutral smell and washes off easily. It’s probably my favourite part of all of this.
- Exfoliation: nothing korean here, just Burt’s Bees Peach & Willowbark Deep Pore Scrub. I actually have two exfoliators, one is a generic brand and then this brand one. I don’t really like this one as it doesn’t really spread easily and you have to use a shitton just to cover your face. Granted, you are only supposed to do this about two times a week. But it just seems wasteful. I think I will try a Korean one when this runs out.
- Toner: Etude House 10-in-1 House Wonder Pore Freshener off a recommendation from a review. I definitely notice my pores being smaller afterwards.
- Essence: This part confuses me because I don’t really see any effect or understand what essence does, but it’s apparently a very vital step in the skin care regimen. I use TONYMOLY Intense Care Galactomyces Lite Essence and it’s a watery substance you wipe on your face. if I understand it correctly, it seems to be like primer in terms of make up, in that you put it on your face first so that the rest of the stuff in your regimen is effective. However, while trying to find a serum for the next step, I stumbled upon BENTON Snail Bee High Content Essence which I bought to eventually replace TONYMOLY’s when it runs out…or maybe sooner. People were raving about it reducing blemishes and whatnot so I figured I’d try, I also will admit I did buy it because it had snail AND bee in the title.
- Serums, boosters and ampoules: I did not realize it but when I bought tea tree oil it actually would count as this step. I did it wrong the first few weeks; so you’re supposed to dilute the oil with a carrier oil which I didn’t do. But now I dilute it with almond oil and that counts for this step. However, I recently bought Skin Food Peach Sake Pore Serum and am waiting it to arrive in February (long ass time to wait but hey, it was free shipping). From what I read it reduces pore sizes and controls sebum which is great for me because my skin is oily as SHIT. we’ll see how it goes.
- Sheet Mask: Apparently this step is important too but I find it a waste of money… you can buy a pack of 5 sheet masks for around $15 and probably totals at $20-$22 with shipping, that’s spending $22 every 5 weeks to put it on your face. Most of the previously listed products I bought were around $15-$20 each and they are only about 3/4ths the way done after ~6 weeks. I don’t feel like it is worth it for these sheet masks.
- Eye Cream: I don’t like the bags under my eyes but most of the time they are covered by my glasses so I won’t bother with this.
- Moisturizer: I currently use MIZON All in One Snail Repair Cream. I’m kinda meh about it. I’m not sure if it’s me getting the almond oil mixed up with the consistency of the moisturizer but sometimes my face will still dry out after applying this cream. Furthermore there doesn’t really seem to be much in there so I feel like I have to use it sparingly.
- Sun protection: I didn’t get this initialyl because I don’t go out in the sun like the NEET I am but I realized that I walk my dog and am therefore getting sunlight, so I bought something cheap, MISSHA All-Around Safe Block Soft Finish Sun Milk SPF50. I haven’t received it yet so we will see if it helps.
Hopefully I will see a difference with the new products and my money hasn’t been entirely wasteful.