So seeing as i haven’t really posted anythign substantial in like 2 yrs I figured I’d make a list of things I’ve been up to then.
- I bought a lifetime subscription to WaniKani so I don’t have to worry about subscription running out. Now I can study my moon runes in peace. やった！ However, I have not studied in a while (since mid last year) and I basically forgot everything so I had to reset myself back to 1.
- I have my own business now, which doesn’t really mean anything, but I didn’t wanna get punched in the dick by the IRS since I want to regularly attend anime cons. And they say that a hobby stops being a hobby if you do it frequently enough for money, so I was like, well I might as well just fuckin go the business route then.
- Around the end of 2016 I started getting into 3d modeling again. I’ve always been kinda fascinated by it but when I was in college we were forced to do some stupid 3d bullshit for a class and i HATED it. When I saw a game that was coming out that had super cutesy chibi graphics it kinda blew a fuse in my head, like WTF, this is the aesthetic I’ve been longing for for so, so long. Why am I not doing this? This is the shit I wanted to make. I did a little bit but because I never really learned Blender in its entirety I got frustrated, all I did was look up tutorials on YT which weren’t particularly comprehensive. So I stopped for a while.
- I got back into modeling once I discovered a site called Udemy that lets you buy classes. I bought like $70 worth of Blender tutorials which really helped me A LOT and now I feel a lot more comfortable in Blender. I will make a separate post about my 3D models later.
- I am currently in the process of revamping my convention booth to look more pretty and professional looking!
- Now at the start of 2018, I’m REALLY obsessed with a particular artist’s use of digital watercolours and am trying really hard to both emulate it and make it my own style. It’s hard but I like the results, I think… I’m still experimenting. The funny thing is I used to make all my art in Photoshop but switched to Manga Studio once I realized how much better it is (magic wand tool anyone?). However, for the digital watercolours I now have to paint in Photoshop because that’s where the brushes are… oh well.
- I attempted to get into traditional sketching/inking in 2017. That didn’t go very well.
- I wanted to get more serious about making more comics in 2017 as well, guess how that went?
- I guess my MMO for the past few years has been Tree of Saviour which I seem to keep quitting and coming back to from time to time. I hate IMC but it’s fun to play with my friends.
- I bought a 2D game engine called Construct 2 which has been instrumental for a lot of stuff! I was able to make a really small farming prototype thing that I haven’t worked on in a while, but it’s really simple to use and I like it a lot. I also use it for my comic’s map which… I never actually released yet…. maybe someday.
- I almost for the most important part, I officially became a freelancer in 2017 for a company that makes magnets (mostly for education; childrens’ toys). It was probably one of the best work-related decisions ever.
Phew, that’s a lot! But that’s all what’s happened recently!!